Saturday, October 14, 2006

Wno's with me?

It's that time again: the time when I exhort you to dust off that old ambition of yours to write a novel - not to mention ditching your inhibitions when it comes to things like cappuccino-chip muffins - and write yerself a novel in 30 days.

Basically, you commit to writing about 6 pages a day, without editing, revising, or letting the voice of your seventh-grade English teacher get in the way.

You start from scratch on Nov. 1 (although you're encouraged to write outlines, plot notes, and character notes before then) and write like the wind until you hit Nov. 30 or 50,000 words (~200 pages), regardless of how crappy you think your novel is.

I've done it. It works. Free yourselves from the tyranny of your internal editor! Sign up to do the nutty! Become a whack job like me! You'll never go back.

The deets are here. This year I'm cheating a little, and we'll just have to see how it works. I'm using November to finish the Pere book, GOd help me, but I'm still committing to writing 50,000 words in November. So I'll be right there with you; I'll just have about 15,000 words already written going into it.

Lest you think this makes it easier, remember that these are characters I care about... so having aliens abduct them in Chapter 14 will be really hard to do.

I mean, when I get desperate I'll still do that, but still.

In other news, in an early birthday celebration for yours truly. my fabulous husband C presented me with a truly tiny laptop - a Sony Vaio. Makes me drool just looking at it. Or at C.

No, you can't have him. He's mine, I tell you, all mine!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home