Saturday, March 03, 2007

Fickle, fickle me

I come, I go, I post three days in a row, and then I drop off the face of the earth. SOME FRIEND, I hear you say from across the country. Yeah, well, welcome to me.

To make up for it, I've got photos of some of the paintings I've been making lately, and a bonus shot of me and my dog. Don't say I never gave you anything.



As you can see, she's very inquisitive.

Below is an encaustic panel, 6x6. The quote (Rumi) reads, "If only you will choose again, this once more, to be born." And I know it looks like I'm talking about a baby, but actually, it's a cry to the story.


I really love this one, even though it's small and I should probably hit it again with the heat gun to get rid of the scraping texture. I love the hand. C hates it. It's too literal for him, I think.

Below is just me screwing around with oil (bottom layer) and encaustic (wax, top layer). Basically I painted a bunch of circles on a smooth wood panel, then stripped most of the oil paint off with linseed oil, and slapped some hot wax on it, and then knifed the wax off.

Believe it or not, this is quite similar to my writing process. Overwrite, strip away, overwrite, strip away. The results are often the same: either coherence with layers, or one big hot mess.




In the 12x12 panel below, you will note that I have discovered how well burnt sienna, turquoise, and gold pigment go together. The gold pigment is loose, like fine soil, and I coughed it up for three days after. Heidi said I had the Black Lung, only with gold.



The one below is a bad photograph of what came out to be a really lovely encaustic work. The quote, which you can't see because of the glare from my enormous forehead, reads, "Let the beauty we love be what we do."





The large panel below (24x36) is strictly oil and gold pigment - no encaustic. It's not done, but I need to wait for, you know, ever for the oil to dry, and then I'm going to slap a bunch of wax on it and call it Nancy.




1 Comments:

Blogger mox said...

Awesome.

I wonder what the ratio is of writers who also paint, as opposed to painters who also write.

Good to do something with your hands when your writing has you stymied.

7:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home