Monday, March 19, 2007

Vacay, Part Two

OK, so after leaving Heidi's, I winged it to Denver for three days with my best friend Carrie, her fabulous husband, and The Cutest Boy In The World: her 1-year-old son, Evan.



You have to admit, the kid earns his name.
See? Adorable. How could you not want to nibble those cheeks?


He is not, I fear, too fond of me. That's OK. I'll wear him down. If I send him Che Guevara t-shirts and indie rock for the next 20 years, I'm sure he'll come around.

Then there's Fabio - so named because he is simply fab. Here he is, hard at work. Work hard, Fabio. "Work" "hard."

And here is Carrie, zipping away from the camera. I may have to do this up large, in encaustic. Which, incidentally, she convinced me to do - and now she's trying to commission a painting. Commission my ass. I owe her.







Here's a better shot of the two of us. She's the tall blonde. I'm the squatty brunette.
See how she is? Gorgeous, inside and out. If I didn’t love her, I’d have to hate her.

We went to the deserty mountains while we were there, where everything was azure and rose and gold.




















Did I mention? It was 70 degrees out; we all got tan. Then we matched the land.

Well, sort of.













7 Comments:

Blogger Jude said...

Brooke baby, I am loving the colors in these photos! How did you get the colors so rich without the bright light washing everything out? Lenses or the magic or post proc or ???

Smooches,
jude

5:58 AM  
Blogger Brooke said...

Jude! Hey girl, where you been?

This is all post-processing in Microsoft Office Picture Manager, if you can believe that. It came free with Office 2003 Professional, and I totally love it. Don't know if it's a standalone thing you can buy, but if it is, maybe it's worth a look.

OK, so first, I amped up the contrast. Sometimes I fiddled with the midtone a little and lowered the brightness just a little, because my little digital point-and-shoot tends to wash things out.

Then I adjusted the saturation - and on the landscapes, I really pushed it to as saturated as it could be.

On the self-portrait at the bottom, I also adjusted the color to get rid of most of the magenta - you can tell, there's almost no pink tone to my skin. That's why; I moved it all to blue, which is why my eye came out like it did.

And here I thought I was going to have to buy PhotoShop. Pah!

7:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You were in my home town! I miss it there, especially when it is rainy and dreary here for days on end...Gld to hear you had a great time!

7:57 AM  
Blogger Jude said...

I am drunk on post proc too via the software that came with my Canon, but when I go overboard with saturation, I notice the pics start to look a little cartoony. I was thinking to one day master Gimp (the open source answer to Photoshop -- sorta, Photoshop still kills I hear), but so far haven't mustered the brain power or will to clamber up the learning curve.

But here's a peek at a fun pic I took at the zoo with a wildly-colored bird with a perfect ring of eyelashes that look like steel barbs and light blue eyes framed in a bright orange face.

10:44 AM  
Blogger Cherry Red said...

Very nice pix. Looks like everyone had a good time! :) Jude is right (Hi Jude!) they are really pretty. Vivid colors.
------------

ANd, from the other post, I'm totally with you on the running thing. (Well, jog/fast walk for me.) Usually 4.5 and up to 5 and back down in short bursts. I must get back t it. I ache all over and I'm so FAT! Keep it up! I swear I'm going to start before the month is over. I quit at the end of November. Ugh!

10:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think Evan doesn't like you- I think it is more of a case where he is playing hard to get. I adore the photo of him in front of the fireplace. His expression is too cute.

8:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

God, I just want to eat that kid up. Isn't he scrumptious? Yumm.

Hey Kim! Thanks. You know, oddly enough, it's already getting easier. I'm doing the short bursts, too - 30-60 seconds at 6.0, which, if you can sort of control your lower half and just concentrate on picking 'em up and putting 'em down, seems to help. Although I'm still gasping for breath when I'm done.

But it's a good kind of gaspy.

- Brooke, signing in as Anonymous

10:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home