Thursday, August 16, 2007

Is that foul, or is it just me?

Old Navy's 3 new fits for jeans. Anyone seen the commercial? Three women, all size 0, tramping around in totally skin-tight jeans. No discernable difference other than one is called Diva, one is called Sweetheart, and one is called Flirt. They all look like a yeast infection waiting to happen.

Are we not past this yet? Is Old Navy not providing an Oldster fit? Is there nothing out there for the gal - OK, the slightly older gal -- who wants to leave something to the imagination?

Oh, I forgot. TALBOT'S. I'm sorry, I am no longer 24 and therefore must be relegated to the geriatric section at Nordstroms, which these days is most of it. Next stop: outfitting me for an IV packed full of decaf and Gold Bond. Great.

In other news, I have the palate of an 8-year-old boy. Today at lunch, I ordered a cheeseburger at this somewhat swanky restaurant and asked them to take everything off it that made it a Swanky Restaurant Special: grilled onions, special mushrooms, aioli. I made the ewww face when ordering, even. It's amazing I got out of there without a Shirley Temple and a balloon.

And finally, as it turns out, my ass is really, really huge. I mean, well shaped and all, but damn. Something's gotta give. Apparently my pants.

7 Comments:

Blogger mox said...

Well, say what you want, but Talbots jeans are the only ones I've found that fit me, especially since I have long, long legs.

That little bit of stretch they put into jeans these days? 'Bout damn time.

10:27 AM  
Blogger Brooke said...

Oh Mox, I know. They fit me too! I'm just in denial over this whole skinny-jeans thing. And lashing out at Talbot's doesn't do anything to make it better.

10:31 AM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

I totally agree with you - what about the average woman being a size 16 means the average woman will want super skinny jeans? I tried that when I was in High School and the jeans actually cut off the circulation to my legs!

12:37 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I must stand up for Old Navy! I don't really get why they went "sexy" but I do like the fact that their jean sizes are generous and the cuts are actually pretty flattering. It's like they tried them on real people before unleashing them on, ah, well, real people!

Go.

Try them on.

Really.

The Flirt is my favorite. Bootcut. Dark denim.

Still like me?

9:10 PM  
Blogger Brooke said...

Pff! Of course. Are the cuts really flattering? It's so hard to tell from that DAMN AD. Because, you know, I heard them say something about three different fits and I got totally suckered in.

"Finally, a fit for someone with a huge butt and normal everything else!" I thought.

And then to see those stick figures wiggling around with their jeans painted on! Really awful. I expected one to be skinny, one to be normal, and one to be baggy, but no such luck.

You're right, I shouldn't slag off O.N. before I go try some on...

10:43 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

They're my favorite pair of jeans! And the dark is really dark. Which I love. We're probably shaped differently but I bet one of the fits could make you as happy. Bonus: they are CHEAP. Screw $90 jeans. I'll take one $30 pair and $60 in booze, thanks.

10:35 AM  
Blogger Cherry Red said...

LOL @ Haikugirl. Yes, $60 in boooze is well-spent. :)

Brooke, I read your post and laughed. That's exactly what I was yelling at the TV last night. "Three differnt cuts? How can you tell? All three skinny girls look like they have the same body!"

As far as I could see, the girl wearing the flirt jeans was flirting and that was about it.

I don't have a problem with tight jeans. I carry all my weight in my lower half and stretch jeans hold a lot of ugly lumps in. When I put on a sweat suit I look like I've gained 30 pounds.

But why not show three different girls with three different body types so we can see those three different cuts? Hell, a tall skinny 20 year old looks good in anything. I challenge old navy to fit a short, hippy, big-thighed 39 year old and make me look good. Most women would rather buy jeans that can do that!

2:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home