Tuesday, August 14, 2007

This just in: Math doesn't suck

I loved Danica McKellar on Wonder Years and West Wing, and I loved her even more when I found out she's a total brainiac. Now she can add author to her resume -- she's just published a book for middle-schoolers called Math Doesn't Suck.

I loved math in middle school; it was so clean and neat, and since I was good at it, I got to tutor the cute guy behind me whenever he was stuck. Things were different in high school -- I had a geometry teacher who hated me almost as much as I hated him, so I skipped a lot, and as it turns out, if you don't read the book you can't really scrape more than a C from figuring it out alone. So I love that McKellar has written this book.

In other news, after the hair-pulling, teeth-gnashing ordeal that was putting up with me as I wrote outlines, I've written the first Lucy Boone chapter and I totally love it. Even better, so does my partner. Now I can't wait to write the rest.

And thanks to the kind folks who wrote nice things about Mystery Rash 2007. It's gone now. Yay, western medicine.

1 Comments:

Blogger Cherry Red said...

Wow. Too bad that book wasn't around when I was on Jr High. The minute the teacher introduced multiplication in third grade I thought, "Uh-oh."

I'm actually really good at basic math (add, subtract, multiply, divide, fractions, decimals and percents) and can do most of it in my head. Throw an X in there and I want to cry. THe fact that I actually passed pre-alg, alg, intermediate algebra (had to take it twice) and liberal arts mathematics (Math 100) to get my AA was a major feat for me.

Oh, and FWIW, while you were tutoring cute guys in math, I was tutoring them in English. :)

2:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home