Monday, October 29, 2007

Drunk on rum cake and love

My mother was here this weekend. The sun shone the entire time; the dog was charming, my stove cooperated, and the leaves were brilliant, everywhere we turned.

In fact, everything we touched or saw or smelled seemed more vivid, better, funnier, the whole weekend long. Just another perfect, charmed October weekend; another jewel-box of memories for us both.

Mom made rum cake and mashed potatoes and mock. She gave me a bracelet from her own arm and earrings she was wearing. Now she's gone, and Seattle is gray and bleak without her.

Sometimes I think her goodbyes are just more lessons: some day, it'll be goodbye for a good long while, until we meet again as ectoplasm, or worm food, or spirit. Other times, goodbye is just goodbye, and sad.

But I know she'll be back. After all, now she knows how good my home-made gingerbread is. She'll be back, all right.

4 Comments:

Blogger inkgrrl said...

Ooh rum cake! And gingerbread!! Recipes?

10:58 AM  
Blogger Brooke said...

Joy of Cooking, baby!

11:27 AM  
Blogger junemoon said...

My eyes misted all up when I read your entry about your mom. In my case, I moved away from my daughter and am the one that visits her back home. I savor every moment we have together and think that she feels similar emotions as you do when her/your mom leaves.

I totally related to the giving of the jewelry right off her arm and ears. And then the part where you shared your gingerbread and what all that represents to you and most likely to her. A lovely post. junemoon

1:38 PM  
Blogger inkgrrl said...

My dog ate my copy of Joy of Cooking. Luckily there was no homework in it. I'll have to pick up another copy just for those recipes.

5:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home