Monday, October 22, 2007

Home from heaven

My friend Ellen just wrote, "I have never felt so carefree, so lighthearted, so joyful, so loved, so consumed with hilarity, so exactly where I wanted to be. Fabulous."

She was writing about the tiny writer's conference/retreat a bunch of us went to, and as usual, she nailed it.

I was lucky enough to be in the company of women I respect, admire, and in some cases truly love, for five whole days. I met two people who I hope will be lifelong friends, and hung tight with another 5 who already feel like lifelong friends. We had five days of nonstop laughing, and if I could have one wish, I think I might just spend it on reliving that entire week.

And now I am in black armband mourning over the fact that these wonderful people are scattered all over the country: Ontario, Maryland, Dallas, London, Yorkshire, Minnesota, Ohio, Pennsylvania. You know, WAY THE HELL AWAY FROM ME. Those places get great people! Can't they share? I find it very selfish of them. Selfish states! No biscuit!

Eventually I will secure permission to post some photos, but for right now, all I've got is this octopus, and a wacky photo of me acting on a dare (Ellen: "I dare you to stick one of these tattoos on your face." Me: "I'll do you one better!"). I'm the one wearing green.



6 Comments:

Blogger debra said...

I love your tiara!!!!!

7:32 PM  
Blogger Brooke said...

Wasn't that something?! There was a black boa, too, which I should have been wearing.

Hey, I'm sorry I couldn't get up to Columbus. Next time!

7:34 PM  
Blogger Jude said...

More detes, damn your eyes! :)

6:34 AM  
Blogger inkgrrl said...

Ok, the octopus took me a second, but only because I was dazzled by the tiara. Brooke, your picture has to be one of, if not "The" archetypical images from Cherry Con!

8:27 AM  
Blogger Eileen said...

You are adorable. I am bereft that I missed this event.

9:52 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I love seeing you all happy and silly and at writer's conferences! It suits you. It suits you like Boden skirts and great shoes suit you. You're glowing.

Busy October is almost over! Prepare to see me in t-minus two weeks, missy!

7:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home