Wednesday, December 26, 2007

I thought I had something to say

but maybe I don't. Skirt Madness abated a bit over the Christmas holidays, although I foresee another couple skirts making their way into the world over the next few days. I'm getting faster, if not better.

In other news, I woke up irritated today, even though the last several days have been quiet and happy and nice. Don't you hate that? You're just living your life and boom! Irritated for no reason.

For Christmas, C bought me my metric tonnage in DVDs and books, and topped it all off by getting me an iPod shuffle, which is tiny and purple and sounds gorgeous. My friend Diane accosted me Saturday night, demanding to know why I hadn't finished the story I sent her the first chapter of, so that's got me motivated to get back to it. And I got to see some of my other absolutely favorite people Saturday night, Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday. That's a lot to be grateful for.

In fact, I have a lot to be grateful for. My year was terrific. Let's stroll down memory lane, shall we?

In January, not only was there a lot of writing, but C set me up with a bitchin' encaustic workshop downstairs so I could learn how to paint with hot wax. This has been the gift that keeps on giving, let me tell you.

February brought lots of poetry because I wasn't writing. Jenny also made me a mod over on the Cherry Forums, which has been wonderful and fraught in equal measure.

March was one of the happiest months yet. I went to see Dave and Carrie (and their adorable child) in Denver, and I also got to see Heidi in Iowa, where there was much talk of writing and many breakthroughs, not to mention collaging and music and her darling daughter Anna and very cool husband Dan.

April and May were hard. C and I had a couple bad days, then my grandmother had a stroke. But we ended that spell by road-tripping out to Arches National Park, which was gorgeous and stunning.

June was spent gardening, painting odd little things with hot wax, and lolling about in the sunshine. I am not ashamed of my lollery. Oh, also, C surprised me with a used Honda Metropolitan scooter. Yes, my husband does rule.

And so, July was spent tooling around on it. I bitched about writing, I made Pat Gaffney's blog (while it was still up), people came to visit, whatever. July was all about the wheels, baby.

August came, and with it some really hot weather. I have blocked it out of my memory. Mostly it was about painting and crafts and this strange rash. August: best skipped.

September was about road trips and babka and fulminating over the Seattle Public Library. Again.

October - month of my birth, all ye faithful - was a great month. There was a gathering of the mighty in Cincinnati; then my mother came to visit, which was a total blast. I turned 38 and I did a lot of writing. October is always good for me.

Then November came and with it, a trip to San Diego to watch one of my favorite people graduate - not to mention some gorgeous crisp fall days, and more writing. I wrote a children's story that I really liked, so I sent it off to a publisher. I won't hear back until something like 2011, but that's OK. The act of writing it and then sending it off, hopes attached, was the main thing.

I also landed in a cast for a month on account of a tear in my Achilles. Have I mentioned I am still in the cast? Longest goddamn month ever, in other words.

And that brings us to December. I sprang into action, reupholstering furniture, baking like crazy, buying a sewing machine, learning how to sew, and making myself some bitchin' new skirts. December: Not a bad month.

So when I whine about not getting as much accomplished with my writing as I hoped I had, all I have to do is look at the other things I did. Life is for writing, but it's also for living. I got to spend time with all the people I really love this year. I learned how to paint and upholster and sew. I moved in a new direction with my writing. This, after all, was a very good year.

Some things that 2008 might bring: learning to work with PMC clay (fine silver clay that you form and then bake in a kiln), getting better at encaustics, and maybe getting a digital SLR and getting back into photography. So there's lots to look forward to.

Thanks for sharing 2007 with me, and see you in 2008, babies.

2 Comments:

Blogger Denise said...

You have been a busy chick-a-dee this year. Come to think of it, you were pretty busy last year, too. Damn, I feel lazy! :-)

10:24 AM  
Blogger djWhite said...

I had to leave a comment. In the first paragraph you asked "don't you hate it when you wake up irritated?" Hell YES! What's so sad...that's the story of my life...I've got a 26 year-old still living with me SO...

Well...let's just say I rant and rave on my blogs!

5:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home