Monday, December 24, 2007

SkirtFest continues!

During SkirtFest, C and I got to dog-sit for his folks. Her name is Kay. Isn't she adorable?

We decided to dognap her, and sent this photo to her owners with a demand for 1 million euros in unmarked... euros for her release.

They wrote back that we should keep her for another month and then tell them how much we wanted for her. So we gave it up as a bad deal and I continued making skirts.
Turns out that making skirts is an excellent antidote to hellish work weeks. So two more skirts - and a matching wrap! - made their way into Brannon Hall this week. The first of which is a faux suede, as shown below.

That's the leg that isn't in the cast. I like that leg better these days. I have dreams about running, about getting back into the shape I was 3 years ago, before I committed to writing and let my body go to hell.
I need to figure out a way to commit to both. Right now, committing to either is hard.
But I digress. I was showing off my skirts.

This faux suede is polyester, and I thought it was a great bargain until I got it home and started cutting it up - and it erupted in static electricity. Now I'm worried that when I walk down the street, my thighs will start a fire. Yow!
Below is the other skirt I made, a straight skirt that I wore out to dinner with a bunch of friends on Saturday night.
Incidentally, if you're in Seattle and you want to have a marvelous night, gather your tribe and hit Cafe Campagne. The food was terrific and so was the service, and you can't beat CC for ambience. But the company was best of all. We all but shut the place down. I haven't laughed like that in a long time - not since CherryCon.

And I can't help but feel that my skirt had something to do with the festive mood we were all in. I mean, look at it! It even looks bubbly.
Incidentally, that slit is intentionally longer on one side that the other.
Actually, it's not. I lie like a rug. But you know, it looked super-cute on.

Up there is the matching wrap. I used the "wrong" side for the skirt - the less shiny side, which is more pink and less orange, so that my butt didn't look like a neon sign when I had it on. But for the wrap, I used the "right" side, all shiny and nice, all the better to show off my ta-tas.
Note the cockeyed zipper, too. I'm making skirts, yeah? I never said I was making them well.
I probably looked insane, but you know? I felt damn Christmassy. This is a nice change from last year, when I was sinking into the pit of hell - er, depression - and didn't feel a damn thing except tired and worn out. Pharmaceuticals: they're a good thing.
But you can never take a vacation from yourself, can you? There's something I've been struggling with since early November, when I lost it on a group blog. Since then I've wondered how that affects what those people think of me. I've been really worried about it, alternately feeling guilty for going all Type 8 on people and feeling resentful at (perceived) slights.
And it's very possible I'm being oversensitive. I excel at being oversensitive. But I'm also really good at reading other people.
Fuck it. I think I need to put that away this Christmas. How about making this Christmas a guilt-free zone? A zone where we are our own most ardent supporters, where we love ourselves no matter what? I think I'm up for that.

2 Comments:

Blogger Eileen said...

I adore the dog. How is Emmie dealing with this invasion- and for the record you should love yourself because you are FAB. and fashionable.

11:44 AM  
Blogger Sue said...

I love you Brooke.

And as one of the mighty who got to spend time with you in cincinnati, I feel blessed.

9:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home