Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Root canal

Dudes, I am having root canal in two weeks. The endodontist gave me the bad news, said "Teeth are a mystery," and then prescribed some Valium because I am not the most pleasant person on earth when people are jamming sharp things in my mouth.

I can't help it. I'm not the most relaxed person as it is; when you lie me down and ask me to open my trap for an hour or two so things can be put in there and then taken out of there, I get a little tense.

I've tried meditation but the monkeys in my brain keep fixating on the sounds of the drill and all that. Xanax works, but you know, X works a little too well. It's too tempting. And I've tried laughing gas. You know what it makes me do? Burst into tears, and then want to get naked and run around. It simultaneously ratchets up my anxiety. Laughing gas, my ass.

But I'm not the only one in the family to have that reaction - Mom can't do laughing gas, either, and when we were in high school, my brother went to the dentist four successive times in one month to try to have his teeth cleaned, and each time they tried, he flipped out on the table and they had to spring him. I don't know that he's seen a dentist since.

Root canal. Man. I should just go ahead and close comments on this post right now.

6 Comments:

Blogger Eileen said...

Hey buddy- I had one of these two years ago and (HONEST) it wasn't that bad. I mean, it's still dental work so that part sucks- but it wasn't the horror I expected. Wear an ipod, bring some Enya

1:26 PM  
Blogger brooke said...

Yeesh. I'm sorry. I can't do laughing gas either... I bawl and jitter like someone's holding a jackhammer to my stomach. I feel for ya. Hope it goes well.

4:24 PM  
Blogger JChevais said...

I was going to suggest the ipod too. Enya might not drowned out the drill. I'd recommend Nine Inch Nails, actually...

That being said... it is a root canal... maybe NIN is not the right choice. Hmm...

2:28 AM  
Blogger Rox said...

My dentist's assistant can always tell that I'm tense (maybe it's the way I'm so stiff in the chair that my butt doesn't touch the leather seat) and she massages my temples!

I hate the sound and smell of the dental drill. Bring an iPod. That'll at least drown out the sound.

5:27 AM  
Blogger Brooke said...

You guys are the best. I will load up my iPod with monks chanting about shoes or something.

3:36 PM  
Blogger Denise said...

See if they'll do the conscious sedation thingy with ativan...supposed to be really awesome for the anxiety. Also, consider investing in some Bose headphones for the iPod because they supposedly block sound completely. (I need gum surgery, I think, and I've been doing extensive research. Gah!)

9:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home