Monday, March 03, 2008

Sewing stuff

Hey folks! Three items of business first: there is much more sewing goodness to be had at my sewing blog - DailySkirt.blogspot.com, including a run-down of the lost weekend I just had with five yards of linen and a busy husband.

Second, the pattern for that dress below was KwikSew 3576, and the next time I make that pattern, I'm sewing in far bigger darts, and using a square neck instead of a v-neck. Here's a different take on this pattern from a blogger I'm going to have to befriend: http://twoontwooff.blogspot.com/2008/02/kwik-sew-3576-sheath-dress.html She speaks the truth when she talks about how easy and fun this dress was to sew.

Third, In terms of taking things in at the waist, look for darts you can make larger (that is, wider). Get a towel and some binder clips and experiment with this. Watch how the towel drapes differently when you take it in at the sides vs. in the front and/or back. If nothing else, take it to a tailor - or your dry cleaner.

I feel you, girl. The curvy have a tough time of it, bombshells or not. Remember the 80s? When every jacket was blocky and square, and you felt like killing yourself whenever you put on anything by ESPRIT? (Which I still call E-Spirit by mistake.) Ah, youth. I'm so glad I'm ancient and crafty now. I cackle like nobody's business.

But on to more important things: purses, and next weekend. Here's what's on tap (well, this and a busted neck):

I think I'm going to make a longish jacket out of the violet fabric (from KwikSew 2736), if I can figure out the right interfacing to use. It's a very soft, floppy fabric, and it needs a little body. I was thinking about making a 1930s-inspired dress with it, but... that's a lot of flowers to splash across a lot of body.

So I'm still thinking that one through.

The Hawaiian print is a lightweight little stretch fabric that will either become a skirt or a shirt, my reasoning being, it can be a big splashy print as long as it doesn't cover my entire body.

And this - well, this is how I spent last weekend. I made two skirts, a pair of pants, a pair of shorts, and the dress in the post below. For more photos, see my sewing blog: DailySkirt.blogspot.com.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home