Thursday, June 12, 2008

Shower for the good of all mankind.

Where have I been? Trying not to breathe on the bus home from work while a foul-smelling 25-year-old plugs himself into his iPod next to me, that's where. Feverishly sewing pareos, none of which made it onto DailySkirt. And paying strangers to rub me.

That's right, you heard me. A land where you can drop by your gym for a massage on the spur? That land is America. Let freedom ring.

Today I start an 18-week odyssey of weight loss. This is me trying to be tactful. For the last few weeks, I've been calling it "the program." Now that I've started, I notice it has become "the fucking program." Who knows what it will become?

It started last night with a women's support group, at which I and another girl were immediately pegged as troublemakers when she discovered no wine--no wine at all--was allowed on the program, and then I asked if the meeting organizer was put off by open weeping.

At least I didn't have to stand up and say, "My name is Brooke, and I am fat," although that is certainly true. I did have to cop to where the last 30 (OK 40) pounds have come from: namely, vodka and cappuccino-chip muffins, bought on the sly and consumed by the pound.

Anyway, expect regular updates, such as these:

  • Dude, what the fuck? Can you not smell that?
  • Jesus fucking Christ, you mean I can't eat anything but shakes for two weeks?
  • Oh my fucking God.

That is all.

7 Comments:

Blogger SaraHS said...

When I lost weight last year I found I had to start by chowing down on some of my own words like, "I hate to run" and, "Life isn't worth living without ice cream". Forty-five pounds later I'm a 5K machine who eats ice cream from a custard cup. With a tiny spoon!!! I'm still holding out on "I'll never run a marathon!" though, so I have that on you. =)

That sound you hear is me cheering you on. Go you!!!

9:21 AM  
Blogger inkgrrl said...

It's so much easier to pretend the extra poundage is invisible - that's my primary coping mechanism - than to do something about it. You go girl!

10:44 AM  
Blogger Denise said...

Bring me with you on this magic voyage, please! (Not sure about the "no wine" thing, though...might need a slightly modified Program.)

Also, are you saying that the muffins are not our friends???

11:21 AM  
Blogger Brooke said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

1:52 PM  
Blogger Brooke said...

Oh yes, the invisibility defense. I am a regular ninja in terms of the extra weight I'm carrying around. It's practically a state secret.

1:56 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Way to take back the night! I raise a shot of, ah, wheat grass to you and your butt. May it to your bidding.

11:35 PM  
Blogger LTYM said...

I, too, have been having great internal struggles about whether or not I really need all those wine calories. And after some great soul searching, I have realized that hell, yes, I do, dammit.

8:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home